Servings: Approx. 4
- 1 lb. ground meat (half pork, half beef used on TV)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cubanelle pepper (can also use bell pepper), finely diced
- 1 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- Canned green chilies, amount depends on your spice preference (4 tsp. used on TV)
- 1 tbsp. Chipotle powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 5 tbsp. BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
**TV recipe does not use beans, but beans lovers can add a 16 oz. can of drained beans (black, kidney, or your choice) during Step 3.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot. Sauté onion and cubanelle pepper until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and ground meat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned, stirring frequently.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beans (if you're using them), spices, and BBQ sauce.
- Mix in green chilies. Standard recipe calls for 4 teaspoons, but spice-sensitive cooks are encouraged to add a teaspoon at a time and taste after each addition to ensure the heat level is OK.
- Cover pot and simmer on medium-low for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve it up how you like it!