Skip to main content
Peach-almond upside-down cake
- 3-4 small peaches, sliced into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices
- 12 tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Melt 4 tbsp. of butter in the microwave and pour into bottom of the pan.
- Spread brown sugar evenly around the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange peach slices on top of butter and sugar mixture.
- In a stand mixer, cream 8 tbsp. softened, room-temperature butter with the white sugar.
- Mix in vanilla and almond extract and the egg.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients--flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating between milk and flour mixture.
- Layer cake batter over the peaches.
- Bake cake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted through the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, and gently turn over onto a serving dish.