- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 29 oz. can of tomato purée
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- Salt, pepper, & cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- Sourdough bread slices, 2 per sandwich
- Sliced provolone cheese, 2 per sandwich
- Sliced fontina cheese, 2 per sandwich
- Softened butter, 1/2 tbsp. per sandwich
- Truffle oil, 1/8 tsp. per sandwich
- Garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. per sandwich
- In a soup pot on medium heat, melt butter, and sauté onion and garlic for several minutes until onion is translucent and soft.
- Add tomato purée, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, water, heavy cream, and sherry to the pot and increase heat to medium-high to bring mixture to a boil.
- Add seasonings and herbs, then reduce the heat to let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and, using an immersion blender or traditional stand blender, blend bisque until it's smooth.
- Mix softened butter, truffle oil, and garlic powder together, and spread butter blend onto 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Layer 2 slices of each cheese on the bread and top the cheese with another slice of buttered bread. (You want the buttered side facing out on both sides of the sandwich).
- In a frying pan on medium-low heat, place sandwiches face down and cover with a lid to help the cheese melt.
- Once the first side is browned to your liking and the cheese has started to melt, flip sandwiches and replace the lid.
- Sandwiches are done when the second side is browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve alongside your bisque and enjoy!