Servings: Approx. 9
- 10 oz. dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Heat water in microwave for 1 minute, and steep dates and baking soda in the hot water for several minutes. Use a potato masher or pastry cutter to smash up the dates until they resemble a paste.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar until smooth, then add eggs and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt and mix again.
- Mix in date paste until the batter is smooth.
- Spray baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter inside. Bake for about 30 minutes. Cake is complete when an inserted toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, work on the butterscotch. In a sauce pan on the stove top, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, usually about 15 minutes.
- When the cake is done, but still warm, poke several holes in the cake with a skewer and cover the top with sauce. Let it soak in. Be sure to save some of the sauce to top the cake slices with later.
- Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream and warm butterscotch sauce.