Servings: 8 banana rolls
- 2 bananas (or plantains)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 lumpia wrappers
- Vegetable oil, enough to cover rolls while frying
- Cinnamon/sugar mix (optional, to taste)
- Ice cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Slice bananas lengthwise into quarters. Peel banana slices.
- Sprinkle bananas in brown sugar.
- Roll bananas in lumpia wrappers, dampening edges with water to seal rolls shut.
- Fry turon for several minutes until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack or dish lined with paper towels to blot the oil.
- While still warm, season turon with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- For caramel sauce, heat all ingredients in a pot on medium-high heat until they thicken into a caramel sauce. This usually takes 5-7 minutes.
- Serve warm caramel over turon with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
**Choosing your bananas: Ripe bananas will offer sweeter, but softer turon. Unripe bananas or plantains will be less sweet, but sturdier through the frying process**