SERVINGS: 4 large waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cups light vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Crushed ginger snaps, for garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream or ice cream for topping (optional)
Maple-Cream cheese glaze
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 2 cups halved pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp. butter
- 4 tsp. light corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Start with your toppings. To make the glazed pecans: Add all ingredients (except the pecans) to a pan on medium heat and mix until the butter melts.
- Add the pecans and stir to coat evenly. Cook for another few minutes until the glaze thickens and the pecans are slightly toasted.
- Spread pecans on parchment paper to cool.
- To make the maple-cream cheese glaze: Combine ingredients together and whisk.
- Cook in a pot on medium heat until mixture starts to thicken.
- You might need to strain the glaze to remove any cream cheese lumps or larger ginger fibers. Set aside.
- Heat your waffle iron to medium heat and coat with a little non-cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, salt in one mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine oil, milk, vanilla, and eggs in another mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredient mix to the dry ingredient mix and combine thoroughly.
- Fold in coconut, shredded carrots, and chopped pecans.
- Fill waffle iron and cook for around 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through (or until your iron indicates done-ness).
- Top waffle with whipped cream (or ice cream), glazed pecans, crushed ginger snaps, and maple-cream cheese glaze.