Skip to main content
Tom Kha Soup (Coconut-Lemongrass)
- Light olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger paste
- 2 tsp. red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails off
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rice, to serve soup over
- In a large pot on medium heat, saute the ginger paste, lemongrass, and curry paste in a little light olive oil.
- Once the spices are heated, stir in chicken broth, fish sauce, and brown sugar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, red onions, and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are soft.
- Mix in the shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp curl up into c-shapes and are no longer translucent.
- Finish with the lime juice, fresh basil, and salt and pepper.
- Serve over rice.